Web Content Viewer
Live Chat Contact
Web Content Viewer

Trade Adjustment Assistance

Trade Announcement:

There have been changes to the current law governing the Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) Program. On July 1, 2022, the TAA program terminated, and a gradual phase-out has begun. Workers who were certified and separated from their job on or before June 30, 2022, or have been notified prior to June 30, 2022, of a layoff that will occur later, may still be eligible for benefits and services and should contact their Trade Delivery Professional (TDP) or their nearest OhioMeansJobs center. Please refer to TEGL 13-21 for additional details.

Questions can be directed to Trade_Petitions@jfs.ohio.gov


Are you part of a Trade eligible workgroup? 

Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA) is a federal program that offers a variety of benefits and services for workers who become unemployed because of increased imports from, or shifts in work to, foreign countries. 

Potential benefits include:

  • Career counseling
  • Skills testing and training
  • Job search allowances
  • Relocation allowances
  • Wage supplement for individuals 50 years and older
  • Tax credits to provide health coverage 
  • Weekly allowances to assist you in returning to the workforce

Income Support Payments

If you are part of a Trade eligible workgroup, Trade Readjustment Allowances (TRA) are available to continue to provide income support while you are enrolled or participating in full-time TAA approved training. These payments are available once you have exhausted your regular unemployment benefits before finding work. 
You should apply for these benefits immediately following the last day you physically worked for the certified employer. Waiting could delay benefits and services. Need more information? Watch this video by ODJFS to learn how to apply. Email trade petition questions to ODJFS. 

Wage Subsidy for Workers 50 & Older

If you are part of a Trade eligible workgroup, are 50 or older, and found new full-time employment that pays less than $50,000 a year, you may be eligible for Reemployment Trade Adjustment Assistance (RTAA). This is a wage subsidy designed to bridge the salary gap between your old and new employment with a maximum of $10,000 paid over a period of up to two years.


To apply, complete the RTAA program application and email your Trade Delivery Professional.  

Does your job search require you to travel more than 15 miles from your residence?

If you are part of a Trade eligible workgroup and you haven’t found a job within 15 miles of your residence, you could receive financial assistance to attend scheduled job search activities.  You can travel to attend a job fair, to interview with an employer, to participate in a prevocational workshop, or to meet and apply for a position with a potential employer.  
You need to apply before you travel, and you could be eligible for reimbursement for traveling to the scheduled event or interview.  You may be eligible to receive up to 90 percent of your travel expenses, which could include meals and lodging with a maximum benefit amount of $1,250.

To apply, fill out this request for job search allowances and email your Trade Delivery Professional

Do you need to move to accept a new job that is more than 15 miles from your residence? 

If you are part of a Trade eligible workgroup and you have been offered a position that is more than 15 miles from your residence, you could be eligible for relocation assistance. Relocation allowances may include 90% of the expenses involved in moving you, your family, and household goods to a new area following your re-employment outside of your normal commuting area. In addition, you may receive a lump sum payment equal to three times your average weekly wage, up to a maximum payment of $1,250.

IMPORTANT: Your application must be submitted and approved before you move.
To apply, fill out a request for relocation allowances and contact your Trade Delivery Professional. If you have questions, please email

Do you need help paying for health insurance?

If you are part of a Trade eligible workgroup and you need help paying for health insurance, you may be eligible for the Health Coverage Tax Credit. The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) administers this program, which pays 72.5 percent of the health insurance premiums charged by qualified health care providers in Ohio.

IMPORTANT: You must register with the IRS (Use IRS keyword: HCTC) to receive this benefit in advance or to claim the credit when filing a federal tax return. Please email the trade office with questions. 

Do you need training to find a new job? 

Training Opportunities. If you are part of a Trade eligible workgroup and you need training to find a new job, you may be eligible for Trade Adjustment Assistance, which would pay for the cost of that training.

You could be eligible if: 

  • No suitable employment is available.
  • The training would be beneficial.
  • There is a reasonable expectation of employment after the training.
  • The training is available in your normal commuting area.
  • You are qualified to obtain and complete the training and have adequate financial resources to complete the training.
  • The training is suitable and available at a reasonable cost.
  • You meet the Selective Service requirements.  


Several types of training are allowed. 

Ready to apply to one of the below tracts? 

Fill out a training contract form & contact your Trade Delivery Professional

  1. Work-based training, such as apprenticeships, On-the-Job training (OJT), or customized training. These trainings provide you with real-life work experiences where you can apply academic and technical skills to develop your employability. 
  2. Institutional training which includes career and technical schools, community colleges and vocational training. These are short term trainings that can take place either in a workplace or in a classroom, to prepare you for a career in a specific occupation. 
  3. Higher education for the purpose of obtaining a degree, diploma or certificate, or for completing a degree or certificate; higher education may be approved alone or in combination with work-based training. 
  4. Prerequisite training is required coursework that must be completed prior to enrolling in a specific training program. This will ensure you have the basic skills you need to successfully complete your vocational or academic training. Example: successfully passing a Math course prior to being admitted to the program. 
  5. Other training can include such things as GED preparation, literacy training, basic math, or English as a second language. This should lead to occupational, On-the-Job, or customized training that will make it easier for you to become reemployed. 
  6. Advanced degree is a postgraduate degree and is designed to help you secure an advanced position in a career field. Example: completing your master’s degree from an accredited college or university. 

Did we send you a letter?

Determining your eligibility for these benefits requires that you view a Benefit Rights Information Session. This can be done online.

If you received a letter regarding your potential eligibility, you need the information at the top of the letter.  


Petition Number


Certification Date


Impact Date


Expiration Date



If the letter has Law: Trade Reversion 2021 this video from ODJFS explains how to apply.

If the letter has any other Law listed, this video from ODJFS explains how to apply.